Dee, Ruby 1969
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Ruby Dee (1924- ) is pictured with Julian Mayfield. The two helped write the movie, "Uptight," which was filmed in Cleveland, and starred Dee. Ruby Dee is a stage, screen and television actress. The Cleveland-born Dee was raised in Harlem by her father. She graduated from Hunter College. Among her notable acting roles, she starred in the movie, A Raisin in the Sun, in 1961, and was nominated for an Academy Award as Best Supporting Actress for her work in American Gangster (2007). Over the years, she appeared in productions in Cleveland at a number of venues, including the Hanna Theater, Karamu House, and Cleveland Playhouse, according to About.com. She has received three Emmys, a Screen Actors Guild Lifetime Achievement Award, and the Kennedy Center Honor in 2004. She was married twice, the second time to actor Ossie Davis, until his death in 2005. Ruby Dee is also known for being an active participant in the Civil Rights Movement.
- Ohio Digital Network
- Contributing Institution
- Cleveland Public Library
- A Gallery of Cleveland Photographs
- Standardized Rights Statement
- Copyright Not Evaluated:The copyright and related rights status of this Item has not been evaluated. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information. You are free to use this Item in any way that is permitted by the copyright and related rights legislation that applies to your use.
- Chicago citation style
- Brumbach, Dudley. Dee, Ruby 1969. 1969. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cplorg.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p4014coll18/id/5521. (Accessed December 1, 2022.)
- APA citation style
- Brumbach, Dudley, (1969) Dee, Ruby 1969. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cplorg.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p4014coll18/id/5521
- MLA citation style
- Brumbach, Dudley. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cplorg.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p4014coll18/id/5521>.