• Creator
  • Illinois Heritage Association
  • Description
  • Images of Cahokia Courthouse from different angles. The Cahokia Courthouse was built as a French residence about 1737 for Jean-Baptiste Saucier (builder of Fort de Chartres). It was owned by his son, Francois Saucier. It is a post-on-sill construction (poteaux sur sole), with vertical logs set on a stone foundation, and stone and mortar in the spaces between the logs. It became a courthouse in 1793 and served for twenty years until the county ... more
    Images of Cahokia Courthouse from different angles. The Cahokia Courthouse was built as a French residence about 1737 for Jean-Baptiste Saucier (builder of Fort de Chartres). It was owned by his son, Francois Saucier. It is a post-on-sill construction (poteaux sur sole), with vertical logs set on a stone foundation, and stone and mortar in the spaces between the logs. It became a courthouse in 1793 and served for twenty years until the county seat was moved to Belleville. The building was sold and became a home again; later it was a saloon. It was torn down about 1901 and the logs were auctioned off, but they were reconstructed in a somewhat smaller version at the Louisiana Purchase Exposition (St. Louis World 19s Fair) in 1904. After the fair it was again dismantled, auctioned, and in 1905 was moved to Jackson Park in Chicago. In 1936, thanks in part to Henry Horner, an Illinois governor who liked history, the building was deeded to the state. The state purchased the land where the little courthouse had set in Cahokia and initiated a restoration project that returned it to its original foundations. There is considerable new material in the building, but it has been faithfully restored to its early appearance. It was rededicated in 1940 and today is a state historic site operated by the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency. The sign on the courthouse reads: Date of construction unknown. Acquired by the county of St. Clair for a prison and courthouse in 1793. Used for these purposes until 1814 when the county seat was removed to Belleville. In 1904, after ninety years of private use, neglect, dismantled and rebuilt for exhibition at the Louisiana Purchase Exhibition. Dismantled again and rebuilt in Jackson Park, Chicago, 1906. Removed to Cahokia 1959. Restored and Dedicated as an Illinois State Memorial 1940. French in Illinois; Settling in the Midwest. 16 History; 14 Political systems; 17 Geography. less
  • Format
  • Cahokcourthouse