• Creator
  • Harry Lemen, photographer
  • Created Date
  • 1948
  • Description
  • The Clicquot, pronounced "klee-ko," Ginger Ale Company was born in Millis, Mass., in the 1880s. At one time it owned bottling companies all over the United States. It shipped its soda drinks all over the world. At first ginger ale was all that was bottled, but later flavors were added such as Sarsaparilla and Golden Ginger Ale. It was one of the first soda companies to experiment with metal cans. The first cans were what was called the cone to... more
    The Clicquot, pronounced "klee-ko," Ginger Ale Company was born in Millis, Mass., in the 1880s. At one time it owned bottling companies all over the United States. It shipped its soda drinks all over the world. At first ginger ale was all that was bottled, but later flavors were added such as Sarsaparilla and Golden Ginger Ale. It was one of the first soda companies to experiment with metal cans. The first cans were what was called the cone top cans. This was in about 1938 and the first results were not exceptional, but with World War II intervening it wasn't until after the conflict that the metal can became a staple. At that time the Royal Crown Company led the way. The cone tops gave way to the flat can because they were more stackable. The Eskimo boy logo on the side of the truck was used for many years by Clicquot. The Clicquot Company was in business until about 1982. The truck seen here, parked across the street from the Madison Theater and Copeland's Oil Company on Main Street, was also filled with Red Rock Cola. The Red Rock Cola Company, at 109-111 E. Second St., was managed by Walter C. Bennett according to the 1947 city directory. Picture taken circa 1948. less
  • Format
  • negative