Edward Hitchcock unnumbered sermon, 1843 March
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A sermon by Edward Hitchcock in which he writes about the doctrine of eternal punishment. He notes that men often believe they will be saved by God's mercy despite leading an evil life, but he contends that is not the case. Hitchcock uses multiple verses from scripture to demonstrate that eternal punishment awaits those who disobey God's will. In addition to the sermon, the first 23 pages are not written by Hitchcock and instead appear to be a manuscript sent to Hitchcock containing extracts from several different texts. The manuscript contains critical interpretations of portions of the Bible, including discussions of translations from Greek. A letter from the creator of the manuscript is included, apologizing for the messy state of the manuscript and explaining some of the choices in including extracts from certain authors and not others. The letter is signed by the creator of the manuscript, but the name is illegible. The signer's initials are A.K. and it is unclear if the object is related to Hitchcock's sermon. Hitchcock has noted on the final page the dates and locations where he delivered this sermon.
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Amherst College Archives & Special Collections
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864--Sermons
Criticism, interpretation, etc
- Public Domain: This material has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. While Amherst College Archives & Special Collections claims no rights or authority over this material, we do ask that any publication or use of this material cite the Archives & Special Collections at Amherst College as the source of the images and the repository where the original documents can be found. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864. Edward Hitchcock unnumbered sermon, 1843 March. 1843-03. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:505895. (Accessed December 13, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864, (1843-03) Edward Hitchcock unnumbered sermon, 1843 March. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:505895
- MLA citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:505895>.