• Created Date
  • 7-15-02
  • Description
  • The Illini Union, 1401 W. Green Street, Urbana, opened February 8, 1941. Interior architect J.C. Leavell utilized walnut, knotty-pine, maple and various oaks in several public rooms to provde a pleasant environment for students and visitors. Even the elevators of the main lobby are paneled in fine maple, handcarved by John C. Freiburg. A 30 foot cupola houses the university's historic chapel bell and a gift of the class of 1878, the "old clock... more
    The Illini Union, 1401 W. Green Street, Urbana, opened February 8, 1941. Interior architect J.C. Leavell utilized walnut, knotty-pine, maple and various oaks in several public rooms to provde a pleasant environment for students and visitors. Even the elevators of the main lobby are paneled in fine maple, handcarved by John C. Freiburg. A 30 foot cupola houses the university's historic chapel bell and a gift of the class of 1878, the "old clock". An addition toward the south, which was begun in 1960, cost $5 million. Urban Treasure Hunt. 16 History; 18 Social Systems. less
  • Format
  • Illiniunion.jpg