Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony: Wellness Center, Field House, and Athletic Training/ Exercise Science Complex
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This photograph is of Springfield College President Richard B. Flynn and students at the Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony for the Wellness Center, Field House, and Athletic Training/ Exercise Science Complex that was held on September 25, 2008. Dr. Flynn stands in the middle, surrounded by students holding giant scissors about to cut a red ribbon. The front doors of the Wellness Center are behind. The Wellness and Recreation Complex and the Athletic Training/Exercise Science Complex opened September 2008 and were connected to the already existing Physical Education Complex and Art Linkletter Natatorium. The Wellness and Recreation Complex consists of the Wellness Center and the Field House, collectively. The Wellness Center is a two-level, 47,840-square-foot building that offers cardio and weight-training space, a climbing and bouldering wall, four multipurpose teaching/activity spaces, fitness-testing laboratories, and more. The Field House is a two-level, 93,820-square-foot space, located adjacent to the Wellness Center. The facility incorporates a six-lane running track, four multipurpose courts, locker rooms, a fully equipped 9,000-square-foot strength and conditioning facility, concessions, restrooms, and storage facilities. The Field House provides multi-purpose space for classes, athletic team practices and competitions, and campus recreation programs. The Athletic Training/ Exercise Science Complex is a two-story, 18,900 square-foot facility. The first floor houses a comprehensive athletic training center with an academic lab to support classes and preparation of athletic training majors. It is also used to provide direct services to student athletes with injuries. The Exercise Science Center is located on the second floor, and it includes classrooms, offices, state-of-the-art laboratories and research space for the study of all aspects of human performance. The Groundbreaking Ceremony for the Field House and Wellness Center was held on Friday, May 11, 2007 at 11:30 am. The Dedication and Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony for the Wellness Center, Field House, and Athletic Training/ Exercise Science Complex was held on Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 12:00 pm. The dedication remarks were made by Dr. James E. Walsh, a member of the Board of Trustees and Springfield College President Dr. Richard B. Flynn. After the ribbon cutting, tours of the facilities followed. The Wellness and Recreation Complex received the 2009 Outstanding Sports Facilities Award from the National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association (NIRSA), an annual award recognizing innovative designs that are model collegiate recreational facilities. It was one of six winning entries chosen from colleges and universities around the country.
Digital Original; Physical copy in collection printed from original JPG file
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- Springfield College
Flynn, President Richard B
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony: Wellness Center, Field House, and Athletic Training/ Exercise Science Complex. 2008-09-25. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/7348. (Accessed July 21, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (2008-09-25) Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony: Wellness Center, Field House, and Athletic Training/ Exercise Science Complex. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/7348
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/7348>.