This is the "M.G. Bright", the original no. "634". She was companion to the "Reuben Wells" and worked the incline until 1895 when she was replaced by the new coal burner. The "M.G. Bright" was equipped with two sets of cylinders. The first set was for running on level ground, but to "pull" the hill a second set was installed. A shaft connected to rods engaged a cog system which in turn engaged a rack rail placed in the center of the track. This device, which was much more complicated than described here, made it possible for the "M.G. Bright" to climb the hill. This worked until the "Reuben Wells" came along and could handle the hill by simple adhesion.