Basketball Hall of Fame Hillyard Hall Lobby
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This slide shows the Hillyard Lobby to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame on Springfield College's campus. The photograph was taken in 1974. The Hillyard Lobby featured a souvenir area, not visible in slide, and a display case filled with personal items of Newton S. Hillyard that were donated to the Hall of Fame by his family. Newton S. Hillyard founded Hillyard Disinfectant Company which made specialty products for cleaning and maintaining basketball wood courts. Their signature cleaning supply that they created was able to clean wood floors without leaving them very oily, the product added to the quality of the game and safety of the players. There was also a company sponsored basketball team, known as the Hillyard Shine Alls, who won the Amateur Athletic Union (A.A.U) National championships in 1926 and 1927. A bronze bust of James Naismith with a basketball in hand greets and bids farewell to visitors as they enter and exit through the turnstiles of Hall of Fame. Faux stained-glass windows of the Honors Court can be seen along the back visible wall. The Honors Court featured faux stained-glass floor-to-ceiling windows enshrining 90 of basketball’s pioneers. Those enshrined included players, coaches, referees, and contributors who met specific requirements in their area and received ten or thirteen Honors Committee votes for enshrinement. Each pioneer had their own ten foot high window made of Lucite. The shape and style of these windows, known as lancet windows, were common architectural features of gothic churches and cathedrals. The original Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame was constructed on the Springfield College Campus due to the college’s deep connection to the sport of basketball; from Dr. James Naismith, who invented the game while he was a faculty member at the school in 1891; to Dr. Edward Hickox, the driving force behind the Hall’s creation; and the innumerable members of the faculty who have sat on national rules committee. When the Hall of Fame first opened to the public in 1968 it had over 1000 visitors on the first day and just over a year later it had had a total of 16,500 visitors. With the ever-growing popularity of the sport of basketball, inductees into the Hall of Fame, and visitors, the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame began to outgrow its Springfield College home. In 1985 the Hall of Fame opened in a new location in Springfield and the original Hall of Fame building ownership was transferred to Springfield College. Renovations on the building began in 1987 and the building was rededicated as the Allied Health Sciences Center in April of 1989.
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
Basketball Hall of Fame
Allied Health Sciences Building
Hillyard, Newton, S
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Basketball Hall of Fame Hillyard Hall Lobby. 1974. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/2240. (Accessed July 18, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1974) Basketball Hall of Fame Hillyard Hall Lobby. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/2240
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/2240>.