- View Full Item
- Created Date
- 20th Century
A carved human figure with a bird head. It is sitting with its feet pulled up underneath its knees. Its arm is resting on the knees while also holding the end of its beak. The head is tilted back at an angle, while the back is slightly arched. Carved lines detail the stomach, waist, and back regions. The facial features are stylized. The bottom of the piece is flat so it can stand on its own. This figure is also known as Tangata Manu. Curator Note: Basalt sculpture of Birdman (Tangata Manu) created in reference to petroglyphs surrounding the village of Orongo on Easter Island.
- Plains to Peaks Collective
- Contributing Institution
- University of Wyoming Art Museum
- Standardized Rights Statement
- This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. You are free to use this Item in any way that is permitted by the copyright and related rights legislation that applies to your use. In addition, no permission is required from the rights-holder(s) for educational uses. For other uses, you need to obtain permission from the rights-holder(s).
- Chicago citation style
- Birdman. 20th Century. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://uwyoart.pastperfectonline.com/webobject/5868D72F-64AC-4927-9CD4-364685994602. (Accessed July 19, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (20th Century) Birdman. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://uwyoart.pastperfectonline.com/webobject/5868D72F-64AC-4927-9CD4-364685994602
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://uwyoart.pastperfectonline.com/webobject/5868D72F-64AC-4927-9CD4-364685994602>.