Written history of "Historic Route 66 - A Geographic Journey"
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- 1998 - 2007
Written history of an abandoned stretch of Rte. 66 at Towanda, Illinois, based on an interview with Fred Walk, former Normal Community High School history and geography teacher and resident in the Towanda area. This history details the making of a linear park starting with a plaque and the planting of a tree; the involvement of high school students and local residents and the continuing projects to improve and add to the park today (2007). Sever...
Historic Route 66 � A Geographic Journey Written by Helen Mogill, based on an interview with Fred Walk in May, 2007 The inspiration to transform an abandoned stretch of Route 66 into a linear park began when Indian Creek resident and then Normal Community High School teacher, Fred Walk, traveled daily past a closed stretch of that highway alongside the village of Towanda. In 1954, the state of Illinois had updated the original Route 66 construct...
- Contributing Institution
- Towanda Area Historical Society/Towanda District Library
- The images in the Towanda Area Historical Society digital library may be viewed, downloaded, and printed for personal or educational use, but any commercial use is prohibited, without permission. Questions may be directed to the historical society at email@example.com or through the Towanda Illinois District Library at (309)728-2176.
- Chicago citation style
- Written history of "Historic Route 66 - A Geographic Journey". 1998 - 2007. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/ref/collection/tdl/id/1675. (Accessed December 19, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1998 - 2007) Written history of "Historic Route 66 - A Geographic Journey". Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/ref/collection/tdl/id/1675
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/ref/collection/tdl/id/1675>.