C. C. Abraham Memorial Letter (March 1, 1956)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This letter announces the death of Chandy C. Abraham, the principal of the YMCA College of Physical Education in India. It was written by Dr. S. D. Chopde, the school’s new principal, on March 1, 1956, and was likely sent to faculty and alumni. The first page describes the circumstances of his unexpected death in light of his seemingly good health, and the second page provides biographical information. The final two pages describe his final days and funeral arrangements. Chandy C. Abraham (September 23, 1902—February 22, 1956) was born in Kottayam, Kerala. He graduated from the Madras University in 1926 and from the International YMCA College, now known as Springfield College, in 1930. After graduating, he spent nine years teaching at the YMCA College of Physical Education. In his final year, he earned his master’s degree in physical education. Abraham was a member of the Senate of the Madras University, the Central Advisory Board of Physical Education, the Government of India, and the All India Sports Council. He also served as the president of the National Basketball Federation of India and Honorary Secretary of the Madras Olympic Association. Dr. S. D. Chopde is known for having launched the Buck Sports festival while serving as the school’s president in 1958.
Small holes from staple and creases from folding.
- Chopde, S. D
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- International Young Men's Christian Association College
Springfield College--Alumni and alumnae
International Young Men's Christian Association
Abraham, Chandy C
Chopde, S. D
YMCA College of Physical Education
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Chopde, S. D. C. C. Abraham Memorial Letter (March 1, 1956). 1956-03-01. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/5643. (Accessed July 16, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Chopde, S. D, (1956-03-01) C. C. Abraham Memorial Letter (March 1, 1956). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/5643
- MLA citation style
- Chopde, S. D. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/5643>.