Letter from Rose Tani to Rev. Miller, 1942 May 10
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Vociferous indictment of the Ladies aid of the Methodist Church for holding a luncheon picnic for "Japanese leaving Santa Anita," and similar efforts, stating that such overtures to "entertain enemies of their native land" are "traitor[ous]" and "disgrace the good sense of American woman hood."
3 pages, typescript, 5.88 x 7.31 in.
Reverend Wendell L. Miller was pastor of the University Methodist Church, Los Angeles. He became involved in local politics when gambling and prostitution began edging toward the area surrounding the University of Southern California (USC) campus. Miller founded the Citizens Independent Vice Investigating Committee (C.I.V.I.C.), which also campaigned against crime and corruption in City Hall, ultimately resulting in the recall of Mayor Frank L. Shaw. The collection documents Miller's involvement with C.I.V.I.C., and includes announcements, bulletins, correspondence, newspaper clippings, news releases, pamphlets, radio addresses, speeches, statements, and related items. There is also a small amount of material documenting Rev. Miller’s anti-war activities including letters from Japanese Americans sent to incarceration camps during World War II.
- Tani, Rose: author
- California Digital Library
- Contributing Institution
- California State University, Dominguez Hills, Archives and Special Collections
- World War II--Support from the non-Japanese American community
World War II--Temporary Assembly Centers--Religion
World War II--Temporary Assembly Centers--Housing
- Copyright for unpublished materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s) of this collection has been transferred to California State University, Northridge. Copyright status for other materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user. http://library.csun.edu/SCA/Contact
- Chicago citation style
- Tani, Rose: author. Letter from Rose Tani to Rev. Miller, 1942 May 10. 1942-05-10. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16855.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16855coll4/id/8486. (Accessed December 14, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Tani, Rose: author, (1942-05-10) Letter from Rose Tani to Rev. Miller, 1942 May 10. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16855.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16855coll4/id/8486
- MLA citation style
- Tani, Rose: author. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16855.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16855coll4/id/8486>.