• Creator
  • Scott, L. M.
  • Created Date
  • 1898
  • Description
  • In 1854, territorial governor, Isaac Ingalls Stevens, suggested that a university for Washington Territory be established. The territorial legislature settled on Seattle as the setting for the school in 1858 but it was not until 1861 when appointed commissioners looked for a 10-acre site. Arthur A. Denny, Edward Lander and Charlie Terry eventually donated land for the school in downtown Seattle. Situated between 4th Avenue, 6th Avenue, Union S... more
    In 1854, territorial governor, Isaac Ingalls Stevens, suggested that a university for Washington Territory be established. The territorial legislature settled on Seattle as the setting for the school in 1858 but it was not until 1861 when appointed commissioners looked for a 10-acre site. Arthur A. Denny, Edward Lander and Charlie Terry eventually donated land for the school in downtown Seattle. Situated between 4th Avenue, 6th Avenue, Union Street and Seneca Street, the Territorial University of Washington officially opened on November 4, 1861 with 30 students. In 1862, the Washington territorial legislature incorporated the school and appointed a Board of Regents. Throughout the university's early years, the school faced constant changes in administration, enrollment and financial support. In 1863, the school had to close due to lack of students. In 1867 and 1876, the school closed again, this time due to lack of funds. Throughout the late 1870s and 1880s, strong leadership from... less
  • Format
  • text
    Letter (correspondence)
    Scanned from original text or image at 400 dpi saved in TIFF format, resized and enhanced using Adobe Photoshop, and imported as JPEG2000 using Contentdm software's JPEG2000 Extension. 2009