Sculpture, "The Council of War"
View Full Image
Painted plaster sculpture, "The Council of War" by John Rogers from 1868. Shows Abraham Lincoln seated in a draped chair, reading a document held in both hands. Ulysses S. Grant stands over Lincoln's right shoulder, pointing at the document. Edwin Stanton, the Secretary of War, stands to Lincoln's left, cleaning his glasses. A second document lays ignored on the floor. Title engraved in base. H 22 1/2" x Diam 45 3/8". Wt 50 lbs. A very popular sculpture. The original was bronze, but many plaster copies were sold. The original sculpture had a slightly different version of the grouping. In it, Stanton is also pointing at the document but it appeared that he was holding a gun to Lincoln's head. It was quickly changed after Lincoln was shot and assassinated in 1865. American Communities in History; Antebellum Society and the Civil War; How we learn about communities 16 History
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University Library|
|Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865|
Stanton, Edwin M. (Secretary of War), 1814-1869
Grant, Ulysses S., 1852-1929
Rogers, John, 1829-1904
For any further information related to this record, please contact the Collection Publisher. See http://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdcfor more information about this project.