Methodist Church at Main and Cross Streets. The Methodist Episcopal Church was built in 1847. The land was purchased for $1600 and the building was completed at a cost of $5900. A gilded rooster surmounts the spire and at one time graced the spire of the Meeting House that stood at the corner of Common and Mt. Auburn Streets. A flight of ten steps just inside the church doors led up to a spacious vestibule that ran across the entire front of the building. The church auditorium had the pews painted white and the walls tinted green. Later the pews were cushioned and the aisles carpeted. The first organ was a small pedal or parlor organ, but later, a larger one, requiring two men to pump it, was given by Leonard Whitney Jr. A small balcony ran across the back of the church. Narrow stairs from the front vestibule led to the basement where the vestry was located. There was no kitchen as social meetings were considered a desecration of the property. Pews could be purchased or rented. The pews in the back or extreme sides, under the chandelier which dripped oil, no matter what was done, cost the least. The Church fought against the laying of horse-rail tracks down Cross Street and to build a stable at the rear of the property. Gas pipes were installed for $80 and the oil chandeliers sold. This property was later sold to the Young Men's Catholic Association but they soon abanded it and the mortgagors sold the land to the Town and the fire station was built there.