Airplane Parts and Building, A Large Growth for San Diego: exterior view
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Sculpture and Installations
Commissioned by the Museum of Contemporary Art, San Diego a few years prior to 1994, the Museum presented, in conjunction with inSITE94, a new installation by Los Angeles-based artist Nancy Rubins at their downtown location. Titled "Airplane Parts and Building, A Large Growth for San Diego," the installation was built of discarded airplane parts that were arranged to rise from the floor of the interior space of the Museum and pierce through the building's south-facing windows to form a large hovering growth on the exterior. The dynamic arrangement of the elements made the pieces work together as one appearing frozen in time and their careful placement as a whole suggested a rapid movement as though whirled together by some unknown force. --inSITE94
Special Collections & Archives, UC San Diego, La Jolla, 92093-0175 (https://lib.ucsd.edu/sca)
This image is a scan of a 35mm color slide from the InSite Archive (MSS 707, Box 310, Folder 04, Item 316)
[Title, Date]. InSite Archive. MSS 707. Special Collections & Archives, UC San Diego.
Museum of Contemporary Art, San Diego
- Rubins, Nancy (American sculptor, born 1952)
- California Digital Library
- Contributing Institution
- UC San Diego, Library, Special Collections and Archives
- Junk sculpture
Sculpture (visual work)
Installations (visual works)
Mexican-American border region
- Mexican-American border region
- Found objects; steel (alloy)
- No linguistic content
Constraint(s) on Use: This work may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). Use of this work beyond that allowed by "fair use" requires the written permission of the copyright holders(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and any use and distribution of this work rests exclusively with the user and not the UC San Diego Libraries. Inquiries can be made to the UC San Diego Libraries department having custody of the work.
Use: This work is available from the UC San Diego Library. This digital copy of the work is intended to support research, teaching, and private study.
- Chicago citation style
- Rubins, Nancy (American sculptor, born 1952). Airplane Parts and Building, A Large Growth for San Diego: exterior view. 1994. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://library.ucsd.edu/dc/object/bb1231672f. (Accessed December 10, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Rubins, Nancy (American sculptor, born 1952), (1994) Airplane Parts and Building, A Large Growth for San Diego: exterior view. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://library.ucsd.edu/dc/object/bb1231672f
- MLA citation style
- Rubins, Nancy (American sculptor, born 1952). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <https://library.ucsd.edu/dc/object/bb1231672f>.