Ernest Best with students
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This is an image of Springfield College's fifth president, Ernest M. Best, speaking with students on the steps of a building at the college. Best graduated from Springfield College (then the International YMCA Training School) in 1911 and returned to teach Religious Education and Religious Normal Work form 1913-1916. After serving as a Senior Officer in the Canadian YMCA War Services during World War I, Best earned his doctorate from New York University and then returned to Canada to continue his YMCA work. In 1937 he was appointed president of Springfield College, a position he held until 1945. During his tenure as president, Best emphasized the traditions of Springfield College including liberal interpretation of Christianity; the education of the whole person; a continued connection with the YMCA; professional training for youth services staff; international student exchange; racial and religious tolerance; and a continuing emphasis on health, physical education, and recreation.
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- Springfield College--Alumni and alumnae
International Young Men's Christian Association College
Best, Ernest Maurice, 1880-1963
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Ernest Best with students. 1939. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/404. (Accessed July 23, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1939) Ernest Best with students. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/404
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/404>.