Herbert L. Pratt kicking first ball on Pratt Field (1911)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This photograph shows Herbert L. Pratt kicking the first ball at the dedication of International YMCA Training School's (now Springfield College) Pratt Field in 1911 as other men look on. Pratt Field was a gift of Mr. Herbert L. Pratt. It consisted, originally, of a quarter-mile track, 220 yard straightaway twenty-four feet wide, eleven runaways and pits for jumping and vaulting, seven tennis courts, a football field, and a baseball diamond. An eight-foot high reinforced concrete fence surrounds the field. The entrances were designed by Edward Lippincourt Tilton, who also designed Springfield's Judd Gymnasium and the Marsh Memorial Building. The location of Pratt field is still used today for track and field, however the name was changed to Blake Track.
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- Springfield College--Athletic fields
International Young Men's Christian Association Training School (Springfield, Mass.)
Pratt, Herbert L
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Herbert L. Pratt kicking first ball on Pratt Field (1911). 1911. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/10346. (Accessed July 20, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1911) Herbert L. Pratt kicking first ball on Pratt Field (1911). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/10346
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/10346>.