Newspaper article on history of Towanda Township
- View Full Item
- Created Date
An article in the Lexington Unit-Journal on October 21, 1937 was penned by Mrs. Howard Fincham and was titled: "Memoirs of the Pioneers and Early Settlers of Towanda Township." This article gives a thorough history of the area as it tells of the early history of Illinois, McLean County and the small towns that were located in Money Creek and Towanda Townships. It is thought that Louis Sowards and Jacob Harness were the first settlers in 1825 a...
Memoirs of the Pioneers and Early Settlers of Towanda Township by Mrs. Howard Fincham Published in the Lexington Unit-Journal, Lexington, Illinois Thursday, October 21, 1937 More than 100 years ago no road or highway crossed the vast stretches of the prairies, but sloughs and ponds at intervals marked the undrained depressions in the landscape of the state of Illinois. Wild animals roamed at large, but over the scene brooded a strange silence, as...
- Contributing Institution
- Towanda Area Historical Society/Towanda District Library
- The images in the Towanda Area Historical Society digital library may be viewed, downloaded, and printed for personal or educational use, but any commercial use is prohibited, without permission. Questions may be directed to the historical society at email@example.com or through the Towanda Illinois District Library at (309)728-2176.
- Chicago citation style
- Newspaper article on history of Towanda Township. 1937-10-21. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/ref/collection/tdl/id/862. (Accessed December 17, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1937-10-21) Newspaper article on history of Towanda Township. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/ref/collection/tdl/id/862
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/ref/collection/tdl/id/862>.