Butler's analogy, no. 7
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A notebook in which Edward Hitchcock has taken notes on the introductory essay by Albert Barnes published in some editions of Joseph Butler's "The Analogy of Religion, Natural and Revealed, to the Constitution and the Course of Nature." This is number seven of a series of nine notebooks in which Hitchcock has taken notes on Butler's text. Barnes' essay was originally published as a review of Butler's text in the Quarterly Chrisian Spectator in the numbers for December 1830 and March 1831. Hitchcock's notes consist primarily of paraphrasing Barnes' text, with a few of Hitchcock's own thoughts throughout. Hitchcock has divided his notes into sections based on "lessons" that he has identified in the text. This section of notes continues lesson 24 from the sixth notebook and includes lessons 25 through 27.
The item is undated. Dates provided are Hitchcock's birth and death year.
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Amherst College Archives & Special Collections
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864--Notebooks, sketchbooks, etc
Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864--Books and reading
Butler, Joseph, 1692-1752
Barnes, Albert, 1798-1870
- Public Domain: This material has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights. While Amherst College Archives & Special Collections claims no rights or authority over this material, we do ask that any publication or use of this material cite the Archives & Special Collections at Amherst College as the source of the images and the repository where the original documents can be found. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864. Butler's analogy, no. 7. 1793-1864. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:93851. (Accessed December 11, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864, (1793-1864) Butler's analogy, no. 7. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:93851
- MLA citation style
- Hitchcock, Edward, 1793-1864. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://acdc.amherst.edu/view/asc:93851>.