• Creator
  • Waite, Alvin H. (Alvin Henry), 1862-1929
  • Created Date
  • 1893
  • Description
  • Notes in inventory: Tacoma, Wash. Old church tower and St. Peter's Episcopal Church.Old St. Peter's Church was built in 1873 at the behest of the Right Reverend Benjamin Wister Morris, the Protestant Episcopal Bishop of the Diocese of Oregon and of Washington Territory. E.S. Smith donated the land; George Atkinson provided the motivation; the Hanson and Ackerson Mill provided the timber; and the townsmen built the church in record time. The be... more
    Notes in inventory: Tacoma, Wash. Old church tower and St. Peter's Episcopal Church.Old St. Peter's Church was built in 1873 at the behest of the Right Reverend Benjamin Wister Morris, the Protestant Episcopal Bishop of the Diocese of Oregon and of Washington Territory. E.S. Smith donated the land; George Atkinson provided the motivation; the Hanson and Ackerson Mill provided the timber; and the townsmen built the church in record time. The bell tower, built ca. 1874, was made from a cut-off tree which was over 300 yrs old. Through an oddity of law Bishop Morris discovered that he, and not the diocese, owned the church building, and in 1907 he conveyed the property to the new Missionary Diocese of Washington. Between 1873 and 1907, St. Peter's followed the canon law of the local Episcopal Church diocese despite the fact that a majority of the congregation's governing board during those years was often not Episcopalian. On most occasions worship services were conducted by... less
  • Format
  • Photograph
    image
    Scanned from a photographic print using a Microtek Scanmaker 9600XL at 150 dpi in JPEG format at compression rate 3 and resized to 768x600 ppi. 2003