Apollo ablator thermal performance at superorbital entry velocities /
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Prepared at Manned Spacecraft Center.
Major NASA subject terms: Ablation, Apollo Spacecraft, reentry physics, thermodynamics, charring, heat shielding, mathematical models, orbital velocity, thermocouples, thermophysical properties.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 25-26).
Objectives of the Apollo 4 and 6 missions included the demonstration of the capability of the ablative heat shield to survive entry at lunar-return velocities and the collection of data necessary to support the analytical qualification of the ablative heat shield for manned lunarreturn missions. Results of ground test programs, as well as the Apollo 4 and 6 flight tests, are discussed in relation to the verification of the analytical ablation model, Ablator cores taken from the Apollo command module were evaluated to obtain the thermophysical property values used in the analytical model. Temperatures were measured by thermocouples located in depth in the ablator. Char-thickness measurements were obtained from char sensors in the heat shield and from ablator cores. The results of the thermal performance evaluation and comparisons of measured and predicted data have been used to establish a confidence level in the analytical model used to make preflight predictions and will provide the information necessary to improve prediction techniques.
- Curry, Donald M
- Contributing Institution
- University of Illinois
- Washington, D.C. : National Aeronautics and Space Administration : [For sale by the Office of Technical Services, Dept. of Commerce]
- Space vehicles
- Electronic resourceLanguage material
- Public domain. Learn more at http://www.hathitrust.org/access_use
- Chicago citation style
- Curry, Donald M. Apollo ablator thermal performance at superorbital entry velocities /. . Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011444396. (Accessed November 13, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Curry, Donald M, () Apollo ablator thermal performance at superorbital entry velocities /. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011444396
- MLA citation style
- Curry, Donald M. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011444396>.