View Full Image
A large four-pound red and white cylindrical tin can with sealed top and bottom. The can labels reads: 'Palestine Soup, four pounds, Libby, McNeil Chicago, Illinois This four-pound can of 'Palestine Soup' was packed by Chicago's Libby, McNeil & Libby in 1884 to assist in the rescue of the Lieutenant Adolphus with Greeley Expedition, a science research team based at the North Pole. Greeley's expedition to Lady Franklin Bay, in the arctic regions, was undertaken in 1881. It was a United States Government project and its objectives were exploration, the collection of specimens, and the establishment of polar stations. After two unsuccessful attempts, ships carrying relief supplies finally reached the expedition party in 1884. Because there were only seven survivors, the remainder of the canned food was warehoused. Forty-nine years later during the Great Depression, Libby executives publicly ate some of the soup to prove that the company's canned food would remain edible over long periods of time. How we learn about communities; Food Time Line 16 History; 10-12 Science; 13 Science, Technology and Society
|Libby, McNeil & Libby|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University Library|
For any further information related to this record, please contact the Collection Publisher. See http://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdcfor more information about this project.