- View Full Item
A pen and ink drawing of the Hermitage Church. Shows a one-room building with double doors used to separate the sexes. A chimney is set between the two front doors. A man stands in front of the entrance.
In 1823, Jackson along with several of his neighbors donated money to build a neighborhood church. Jackson also donated the land and possibly slave labor from The Hermitage. When finished in January 1824, the finished brick building measured fifty by thirty feet. The church’s interior featured a brick floor with benches in a semicircle arranged around a pulpit on the building’s west wall. Fireplaces on the north and south walls heated this simple rural church. The church became Presbyterian.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Standardized Rights Statement
- This Rights Statement should be used for Items for which the copyright status is unknown and for which the data provider has not undertaken an effort to determine the copyright status of the work.
- Chicago citation style
- Hermitage Church. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/bernhardt/id/103. (Accessed October 23, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Hermitage Church. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/bernhardt/id/103
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/bernhardt/id/103>.