• Creator
  • Springfield Student
  • Created Date
  • 1926-10-08
  • Publisher
  • Springfield College
  • Description
  • This newspaper article, titled "Old Dream Realized as Cornerstone of Alumni Hall is Laid September 22", was published in the Springfield Student on October 8, 1926. The copy of the article is located in the Alumni Hall Records but the original copy is in Volume 16-18 of the Springfield Student (Oct. 1925-June 1928). The article shows a picture of the cornerstone being laid. Raymond P. Kaighn, the president of the Alumni Association at that tim... more
    This newspaper article, titled "Old Dream Realized as Cornerstone of Alumni Hall is Laid September 22", was published in the Springfield Student on October 8, 1926. The copy of the article is located in the Alumni Hall Records but the original copy is in Volume 16-18 of the Springfield Student (Oct. 1925-June 1928). The article shows a picture of the cornerstone being laid. Raymond P. Kaighn, the president of the Alumni Association at that time and one of the first people to ever play the game of Basketball in 1891, is shown laying the stone. The article then goes on to talk about who spoke at the ceremony (Col. Franklin, Dr. and Mrs. Doggett, Gov. Alvan T. Fuller, Mortimer Schiff, and Frank G. Allen), the pamphlets within the cornerstone, and the construction of the new dorm, and how the new building is an important event for the college. Just one year after the cornerstone was laid, Alumni Hall was completed. The building, though, was not formally dedicated until June 15, 1930 when all the funds for the building were officially received. In October of 1944, Alumni Hall, in conjunction with the Administration building, was used as a U.S. Navy Convalescent Hospital. The majority of the patients were housed in Alumni Hall, with one wing equipped for bed cases and the rest converted into hospital rooms for 2-4 men. Today, with the exception of necessary renovations, Alumni Hall remains largely unchanged. The building continues to serve as an all men's dormitory, and the Carlisle Foyer, donated by Mr. S. Richard Carlisle of Springfield, holds gatherings, presentations and student events for all students to enjoy. less
  • Format
  • Documents
  • Rights
  • Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.