• Creator
  • Miller, Patricia L; Illinois Heritage Association
  • Created Date
  • 8-2-02
  • Description
  • 1408 with Gregory Drive, Urbana. The Library is more commonly known as the Main Library. The architect was Charles Adams Platt. Since 2000, the building has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The present University of Illinois facility was erected in many stages, beginning in 1924. The first unit, dedicated in 1927, included the principal facade facing east, the main staircase with murals by Barry Faulkner, the circulatin... more
    1408 with Gregory Drive, Urbana. The Library is more commonly known as the Main Library. The architect was Charles Adams Platt. Since 2000, the building has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The present University of Illinois facility was erected in many stages, beginning in 1924. The first unit, dedicated in 1927, included the principal facade facing east, the main staircase with murals by Barry Faulkner, the circulating loan room, and the first section of the stacks. It also contained the huge reading room for 500 students that is embellished with tinted glass windows depicting famous printer's marks. Urban Treasure Hunt. 16 History. less
  • Format
  • Library.jpg