Easy chair, owned by Rev. Charles Dresser, a friend of the Lincoln family
View Full Image
Upholstered lady's chair. Victorian Rococco style. Exposed walnut trim, medium stain. Chair back crest carved with two closed buds hanging upside-down, flanked by open roses, leaves and scrolls. Upholstered arm rests. Fabric is blue silk brocade with a raised, swirled floral pattern faded to a gold color. Back front has two horizontal rows of deep-buttoned tufting halfway up. A set with LIHO 1130. L 25 1/2" x H 39 1/4" x W 20 1/4". Called a lady's chair because the seat was lower and the arms of the chair would allow the large hoops worn under voluminous skirts to gracefully flow over the chair and not squash them like the high arms of the Gentleman's chair would. The lower seat ensured the sitter that her skirts would still cover her ankles and maintain her modesty. Owned by Rev. Charles Dresser, a friend of the Lincoln family. Dresser performed the wedding ceremony for Abraham and Mary in November of 1842, and sold them his house on the corner of 8th and Jackson in January of 1844. American Communities in History; Antebellum Society and the Civil War; How we learn about communities 16 History
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University Library|
|Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865|
Dresser, Rev. Charles
For any further information related to this record, please contact the Collection Publisher. See http://images.library.uiuc.edu/projects/tdcfor more information about this project.