- View Full Item
- Created Date
Sculpture and Installations
Drawings and Watercolors
Ernest Silva's inSITE97 Community Engagement project, "Family Trees/Arboles de familias," was a collaboration with artist Alberto Caro-Limón that linked the Children's Museum in San Diego to the Centro Cultural in Tijuana. Each site allowed children to write their own family stories and draw family portraits. Both installations were brightly colored and filled with images of houses, trees, birds, and birdhouses to symbolize the exchange of memories and stories from one museum to the other. The space at the Children's Museum was a Rain House that functioned as a studio, reading room, and exhibition space for the children's family projects. At the Centro, the space contained children-sized houses, benches and work spaces, and painted wood-picket fences and trees. The projects created at each installation then traveled to the other to be exhibited to complete the exchange of stories and perspectives. --inSITE97
Special Collections & Archives, UC San Diego, La Jolla, 92093-0175 (https://lib.ucsd.edu/sca)
This image is a scan of a 35mm color slide from the InSite Archive (MSS 707, Box 310, Folder 05, Item 334)
[Title, Date]. InSite Archive. MSS 707. Special Collections & Archives, UC San Diego.
The New Children's Museum (American museum)
Centro Cultural Tijuana
- Silva, Ernest (American installation artist, born 1948)
- California Digital Library
- Contributing Institution
- UC San Diego, Library, Special Collections and Archives
Children (people by age group)
Crafts (art genres)
Sculpture (visual work)
Drawings (visual works)
Installations (visual works)
Mexican-American border region
- Mexican-American border region
- Benches (furniture); tables (support furniture)
- No linguistic content
Constraint(s) on Use: This work may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). Use of this work beyond that allowed by "fair use" requires the written permission of the copyright holders(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and any use and distribution of this work rests exclusively with the user and not the UC San Diego Libraries. Inquiries can be made to the UC San Diego Libraries department having custody of the work.
Use: This work is available from the UC San Diego Library. This digital copy of the work is intended to support research, teaching, and private study.
- Chicago citation style
- Silva, Ernest (American installation artist, born 1948). Family Trees. 1997. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://library.ucsd.edu/dc/object/bb8808533k. (Accessed December 10, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Silva, Ernest (American installation artist, born 1948), (1997) Family Trees. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://library.ucsd.edu/dc/object/bb8808533k
- MLA citation style
- Silva, Ernest (American installation artist, born 1948). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <https://library.ucsd.edu/dc/object/bb8808533k>.