Bride price for Membe: singeing hair off dead pig prior to cooking
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- September 1971
This sequence of images depicts payment of a bride price for a Membe, a Narak woman. Membe had married and had children with a Minj man whom she had met while living at a settlement for Hansen's disease patients. The images depict the payment of the bride price by Minj people, as well as a return payment by the Narak people. The event is described in Susan Pflanz' thesis, Manga Entrepreneurial Strategies.
Membe bride-price. Burning hair off pig. Summer 1971.
Digital Library Development Program, UC San Diego, La Jolla, 92093-0175 (http://libraries.ucsd.edu/about/digital-library/)
This digital image is a surrogate of an item from the Edwin Cook Papers (MSS 0187, Box 45, Folder 11, Slide 0647p).
[Title, Date]. Edwin Cook Papers. MSS 0187. Special Collections & Archives, UC San Diego. [Digital Object URL]
- Cook, Edwin A
- California Digital Library
- Contributing Institution
- UC San Diego, Library, Special Collections and Archives
- Pork--Papua New Guinea
Cookery--Papua New Guinea
Bride price--Papua New Guinea
Narak (Papua New Guinean people)
Western Highlands Province (Papua New Guinea)
- No linguistic content
- Under copyright
Constraint(s) on Use: This work is protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). Use of this work beyond that allowed by "fair use" requires written permission of the UC Regents. Responsibility for obtaining permissions and any use and distribution of this work rests exclusively with the user and not the UC San Diego Library. Inquiries can be made to the UC San Diego Library program having custody of the work.
Use: This work is available from the UC San Diego Library. This digital copy of the work is intended to support research, teaching, and private study.
- Chicago citation style
- Cook, Edwin A. Bride price for Membe: singeing hair off dead pig prior to cooking. September 1971. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://library.ucsd.edu/dc/object/bb8021726n. (Accessed December 19, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Cook, Edwin A, (September 1971) Bride price for Membe: singeing hair off dead pig prior to cooking. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://library.ucsd.edu/dc/object/bb8021726n
- MLA citation style
- Cook, Edwin A. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <https://library.ucsd.edu/dc/object/bb8021726n>.