Group on the SS Rievaulx Abbey (c. 1911)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This lantern slide, "Group on the SS Rievaulx Abbey (c. 1911)," shows men, all of whom are dressed in ties, sitting and standing for a group photo on the deck of the SS Rievaulx Abbey. This British ship was a passenger/cargo steam ship built in 1908. Owned by Hull & Netherlands S. S. Co. and eventually sold to Kingston-Upon-Hull, the ship sunk on September 3, 1916 when it hit a mine laid by a German submarine. The ship was captained by H. W. Pearse. This lantern slide was taken as part of a Boy Scout trip to Holland. According to older catalog records, one of the scoutmasters on this trip is James Archibald Kyle, the Secretary of the Official Boy Scouts Office. In this position, he organized the headquarters and developed the Equipment Department. For his work, Kyle was given the honorary title of Chief Scoutmaster. This item is a part of Springfield College’s series of lantern slides depicting a Boy Scout trip to Holland.
Fragile—single glass piece only.
Part of the Holland Boy Scout Trip Lantern Slide Series
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- Boy Scouts
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Group on the SS Rievaulx Abbey (c. 1911). 1911. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/3134. (Accessed July 21, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1911) Group on the SS Rievaulx Abbey (c. 1911). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/3134
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/3134>.