The First Union Depot in the late 1850s, Indianapolis IN: in 1847 the first railroad was completed into Indianapolis, connecting this city with Madison on the Ohio River, stimulating commerce with other parts of the country. Other railroads entered the city and each had its own station. Soon enterprising citizens and railroad managers conceived the idea of brining all the lines into one central passenger station. To this end, the Union Railway Company was chartered and soon tracks through the city were laid. The depot was completed and ready for use by at least four railroads in 1853. Other railroads which were built later were accepted as tenants. Although the first station was on the site of the present one, early day travels had to cross Pogue's Run to reach it from downtown. Drawing by Christian Schrader
The images in the Allen County Public Library's digital library may be viewed, downloaded, and printed for personal or educational use, but any commercial use is prohibited without permission. Some collections may have other rights retained. Questions may be directed to the Special Collections Division of the Library at Genealogy@ACPL.Info or (260) 421-1225.