Black River with farmhouse in distance, ca. 1899
Until 1916, the Black River linked Lake Washington with the Duwamish River, and the water was deep enough for steamboats to travel between towns on the lake and Puget Sound. After the lake was lowered in 1916, during construction of the Lake Washington Ship Canal, the Black River dried up and gradually disappeared. This photo shows the Black River as it looked around 1898-1900.
Scanned from original negative using Epson Expression 10000XL as 4350 pixel TIFF image in 16-bit grayscale, resized to 700 pixels in the longest dimension and compressed into JPEG format using Photoshop CS4, JPEG quality measurement 4
- All Rights Reserved