Design, fabrication, and performance of foil journal bearing for the brayton rotating unit /
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Performing organization report no.: RR 72-25.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 74-76).
Foil bearings were designed and manufactured to replace pivoted-shoe journal bearings in an existing Brayton Cycle turbo-alternator-compressor. The design of this unconventional rotor support was accomplished within the constraints and space limitations imposed by the present machine, and the substitution of foil bearings was effected without changes or modification other machine components. A housing and a test rig were constructed to incorporate the new foil-bearing support into a unified assemble with an air-driven rotor and the gimbal-mounted thrust bearing, seals, and shrouds of an actual Brayton Rotating Unit. The foil bearing required no external pressure source, and stable self-acting rotation was achieved at all speeds up to 43,200 rpm. Excellent wipe-wear characteristics of the foil bearing permitted well over 1000 start-stop cycles with no deterioriation of performance in the entire speed range.
Prepared by Ampex Corporation, Redwood City, Calif. for Lewis Research Center
- Licht, Lazar
- Contributing Institution
- University of Illinois
- Washington, D.C. : National Aeronautics and Space Administration ; Springfield, Va. : For sale by the National Technical Information Service [distributor]
Journal bearings--Design and construction
Gas turbine engines
- Electronic resourceLanguage material
- Public domain. Learn more at http://www.hathitrust.org/access_use
- Chicago citation style
- Licht, Lazar. Design, fabrication, and performance of foil journal bearing for the brayton rotating unit /. 1973. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011431464. (Accessed September 23, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Licht, Lazar, (1973) Design, fabrication, and performance of foil journal bearing for the brayton rotating unit /. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011431464
- MLA citation style
- Licht, Lazar. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011431464>.