U.S. Volunteer Life Saving Corps, 1912-1913
- View Full Item
- Created Date
The 1913 Massasoit yearbook of Springfield College, then the International YMCA College, used this image of the U.S. Volunteer Life Saving Corps. The image shows the young men all lined up in front of the Gladden Boathouse on the ice of Lake Massasoit. They are wearing sweaters and caps. It appeared on page 129. The accompanying text in part reads, "The corps now numbers over forty. The work of the crops has not been as strenuous as that of last year's owing to the mildness of the weather; there being but five instances of rescue. In the absence of ice during the first part of the season the permanent patrol of the lake was not established until February. With the opening of the new swimming pool, better instruction in the actual practice of rescue and resuscitation may be had, and we therefore look for greater efficiency from the corps in the years to come." The officers of the corps were: George E. Goss (1913), Vice Commodore; Frederick Schultz (1914), Captain; J. L. Rothacher (1914) Junior Lieut.; Owen Horne (1913), Senior Lieut.; Louis B. Vogt (1914), Captain's Aid. The members included: seniors from the Class of 1913, W. Adler, W.C. Batchelor, R. Blundell, R.R. Boardman, R.N. Brinkman, E.P. Emory, E. Lampshire, D. A. McRae, David Rodger, F.W. Stone, and C. J. Surbeck. The junior members, Class of 1914 included: G.A. Batchelor, J.A. Blyth, H. L. Brown, W. G. Coffin, H.S. DeGroat, E. D. Gottsch, E.S. Hall, C.C. Hartman, A.E. Holmes, H. A. Lorenz, E.W. Pennock, W. E. Search, and G. Wellington. Freshmen members (Class of 1915) were, W.W. Bell, G. A. Dowling, D.E. Mason, E.H.B. Myers, C.H. McKinney, H.C. Patterson, G.I. Richie, H.G. Van Norden, and A.A. Whitehouse. Prep members (prospective members of the Class of 1916) include: H.A. Burgess, F.J. Weismiller, and M.H. Wilson.
A handwritten caption on the verso of the photograph reads, "U.S. Volunteer Life Saving Corps 1912-13."; Photograph appears on page 129 of the 1913 Massasoit (yearbook)
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- International Young Men's Christian Association College
Volunteer Life Saving Corps
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- U.S. Volunteer Life Saving Corps, 1912-1913. 1912-1913. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/8182. (Accessed July 17, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1912-1913) U.S. Volunteer Life Saving Corps, 1912-1913. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/8182
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/8182>.