- View Full Item
- Created Date
None of Lancaster's early meetinghouses remain. The first two built c. 1654 and 1684, were located near the Old Settler's Burial Field and were burned by the Native Americans. The third meetinghouse, located on the Old Common, was built in 1706 and taken down in 1743. The fourth, located near 634 Main Street and built in 1743, was used for worship until the fifth meetinghouse was erected in 1816. After that, it was used for a town hall until it was replaced in 1823. Shown is an artist's conception of what the earliest meetinghouses may have looked like.
Title from item or accompanying materials.
Date supplied by cataloger.
Published in: Images of America, Lancaster / Heather Maurer Lennon. Charleston, SC ; Chicago IL ; Portsmouth NH ; San Francisco CA. : Arcadia Publishing, 2001
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Lancaster Historical Society
- Friends' meeting houses
- Rights status not evaluated. You may contact host institution for more information. This work is licensed for use under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives License (CC BY-NC-ND).
- Chicago citation style
- Early meetinghouses. 1850-2000. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871g816. (Accessed December 15, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1850-2000) Early meetinghouses. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871g816
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <https://ark.digitalcommonwealth.org/ark:/50959/02871g816>.