• Creator
  • Stevens, Richard
  • Created Date
  • 1976
  • Publisher
  • Springfield College
  • Description
  • Richard Stevens painted this watercolor of Springfield College’s Alumni Hall in 1976. The painting shows the building during summer. It is believed to have been painted in 1976 and is part of a series of four paintings of Springfield College buildings, including: Babson Library in the Sring, the Memorial Field House in the Fall, and Judd Gymnasium in the Winter. On September 22, 1926, the cornerstone of the International YMCA College's (now Sp... more
    Richard Stevens painted this watercolor of Springfield College’s Alumni Hall in 1976. The painting shows the building during summer. It is believed to have been painted in 1976 and is part of a series of four paintings of Springfield College buildings, including: Babson Library in the Sring, the Memorial Field House in the Fall, and Judd Gymnasium in the Winter. On September 22, 1926, the cornerstone of the International YMCA College's (now Springfield College) new men’s dormitory, Alumni Hall, was laid. One year later, Alumni Hall was completed. The building, though, was not formally dedicated until June 15, 1930 when all the funds for the building were officially received. In October of 1944, Alumni Hall, in conjunction with the Administration building, was used as a U.S. Navy Convalescent Hospital. The majority of the patients were housed in Alumni Hall, with one wing equipped for bed cases and the rest converted into hospital rooms for two to four men. Today, with the exception of necessary renovations, Alumni Hall remains largely unchanged. The building continues to serve as an all men's dormitory, and the Carlisle Foyer, donated by Mr. S. Richard Carlisle of Springfield, holds gatherings, presentations and student events for all students to enjoy. To see the other paintings in the series: http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/7969, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/7967, and http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/7966. This painting was donated by Coach Frank Wolcott. less
  • Format
  • Photographs
  • Rights
  • Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.