• Creator
  • Marten, E.F.
  • Created Date
  • 1958
  • Description
  • In 1926, the City of Seattle began using University of Washington property as a municipal garbage and debris landfill. The City of Seattle and the University began to close the landfill in 1965, which was completed in 1971. The original site was located at the northeast corner of the former Union Bay inlet -- the intersection of N.E. 45th and Mary Gates Memorial Way -- and extended south to the present 'Fine Arts' building on Mary Gates Memori... more
    In 1926, the City of Seattle began using University of Washington property as a municipal garbage and debris landfill. The City of Seattle and the University began to close the landfill in 1965, which was completed in 1971. The original site was located at the northeast corner of the former Union Bay inlet -- the intersection of N.E. 45th and Mary Gates Memorial Way -- and extended south to the present 'Fine Arts' building on Mary Gates Memorial Drive; gradually landfill activities expanded west to Montlake Boulevard and further south to Husky Stadium, and the open dumpsite extended from the north pedestrian bridge to the present driving range. Used as both a fire dump and a general landfill operation, the Montlake Landfill received 40 to 60 percent of Seattle's garbage. In 1954, public opposition to open burning lead to the use of 'modern' sanitary landfill methods; coupled with an expanding amount of garbage, these new methods further increased the rate of landfill reclamation. In... less
  • Format
  • Photograph: b&w
    8 1/8 x 10 in.
    Scanned as a 3000 pixel TIFF image in 24-bit RGB color or 8-bit grayscale, resized to 640 or 600 pixels in the longest dimension and compressed into JPEG format using Photoshop 6.0 and its JPEG quality measurement 3