Moascar Isolation Camp - Ismailia, Egypt (August - September 1917)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This lantern slide, "Moascar Isolation Camp - Ismailia, Egypt (August - September 1917)," depicts an empty, sandy area around the Australian and New Zealand YMCA’s Camp Moascar, located in Ismailia, Egypt. On the left side is a low-lying building, and there are telephone lines running from the building and across the picture. In the background are tents and possibly the silhouettes of a few men. The caption reads "Moascar-Ismailia, Aust. YMCA. Isolation camp - Striking tents Aug - Sep 1917". During World War I, the Moascar Isolation Camp provided the final preparation for entrainment to Alexandria and the Western Front. The isolation camps screened soldiers arriving in Egypt as reinforcements for two weeks, checking for any illnesses such as measles which can break out when people are crowded together for long periods. Ismailia is a city in north-eastern Egypt, situated on the west bank of the Suez Canal. During World War I, the Australian Y.M.C.A. ran soldiers’ clubs, etc., in Cairo, Alexandria, and elsewhere. They also pooled their resources with the United States, Canada, England, and New Zealand to form the International Hospitality League and provided social services to all Allied troops. This slide is part of an unnumbered collection of lantern slides in Springfield College's collection depicting the Australian YMCA war work during World War I.
Text on border reads, "Moascar-Ismailia, Aust. YMCA. Isolation camp - Striking tents Aug - Sep 1917
Part of the Australian Y.M.C.A. WWI Lantern Slide Series
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- World War, 1914-1918
International Young Men's Christian Association
- Ismailia Governorate
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Moascar Isolation Camp - Ismailia, Egypt (August - September 1917). 1917. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/2847. (Accessed July 16, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- (1917) Moascar Isolation Camp - Ismailia, Egypt (August - September 1917). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/2847
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/2847>.