La Venta Inn, Palos Verdes Estates, California
- View Full Item
Image shows view of La Venta Inn, located at 796 Via del Monte on lots 4, 5, and 6, block 1536. An automobile is visible at right on Via del Monte, beneath the hillside shrubbery and La Venta Inn observation tower at far right. The Redondo Beach coastline is visible in background at left. The Inn, originally built as a club house (named "Clubhouse 764") to entertain realtors and prospective land owners, opened in the summer of 1923 and was the first permanent building constructed by the Palos Verdes Project. The name was soon changed to La Venta (meaning "The Sale" in Spanish) and the inn served as a sales office and architectural prototype for the peninsula. During the 1930s it became a weekend retreat for notable celebrities such as Charles Lindbergh, Erroll Flynn, Betty Grable, Bob Hope, Tyrone Power, Cary Grant, and Gloria Swanson. Briefly in 1942 the Inn became the central observation post of the coastal artillery. From 1944 to 1954 the property was the residence of Commander and Mrs. Stanley Schnetzler, and was re-established as an inn in 1955. On November 11, 1978, La Venta Inn became the first structure designated as an historical landmark by the Rancho de los Palos Verdes Historical Society. In 1992 the New York Food Company took over management of the property.
Date Built: 1923
Photo Source: Palos Verdes Homes Association
Citation: Palos Verdes Bulletin, March 1931, p. 21.
PVH building permit #4.
- California Digital Library
- Contributing Institution
- Palos Verdes Library District
- La Venta Inn (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.)
Historic buildings--California--Palos Verdes Estates
Streets--California--Palos Verdes Estates
- Electronically digitized by the Palos Verdes Library District, from the Palos Verdes Homes Association Photograph Collection held in the Local History Room. Copyright status must be investigated before publishing or commercial use. To obtain permission and images for publication purposes please contact the Palos Verdes Library District.
- Chicago citation style
- La Venta Inn, Palos Verdes Estates, California. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://www.palosverdeshistory.org/islandora/object/pvld%3A2694. (Accessed December 11, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- La Venta Inn, Palos Verdes Estates, California. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://www.palosverdeshistory.org/islandora/object/pvld%3A2694
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://www.palosverdeshistory.org/islandora/object/pvld%3A2694>.