Technology requirements for advanced earth orbital transportation systems /
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Issued July 1978.
Prepared for Langley Research Center, Hampton, Va., under contract NAS1-13944.
v. 1. Executive summary.
Normal technology requirements applicable to Single Stage to Orbit (SSTO) systems were projected to the 1985 time period. These technology projections were then incorporated in a vehicle design analysis of three different operational concepts resulting in four configurations of a Single Stage to Orbit system. The resultant performance, weights and costs of each concept were then compared and a system concept selected. A figure of merit was developed for advanced technology programs based on a cost/performance basis. The selected advanced technology programs were then used to reassess the vehicle to determine the impact on performance, weight and cost. Based on study results, recommendations are provided in technology areas associated with earth orbit transportation systems. The recommendations address advanced space transportation system design considerations, both hardware and software technolgoy program requirements.--V. I. The results of efforts to identify the technology requirements for advanced earth orbital transportation systems are reported. Topics discussed include: (1) design and definition of performance potential of vehicle systems, (2) advanced technology assessment, and (3) extended performance. It is concluded that the horizontal take-off concept is the most feasible system considered.--V. II.
- Hepler, A. K
- Contributing Institution
- University of Illinois
- Washington : National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Scientific and Technical Information Office ; Springfield, Va. : For sale by the National Information Service
Single stage to orbit vehicles
Single stage rocket vehicles
Propulsion system performance
Computer systems programs
Reusable space vehicles
- Electronic resourceLanguage material
- Public domain. Learn more at http://www.hathitrust.org/access_use
- Chicago citation style
- Hepler, A. K. Technology requirements for advanced earth orbital transportation systems /. 1978-. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011431422. (Accessed September 25, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Hepler, A. K, (1978-) Technology requirements for advanced earth orbital transportation systems /. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011431422
- MLA citation style
- Hepler, A. K. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011431422>.