1898 Manitou Lacrosse Club
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This is a photograph of the 1898 Manitou Lacrosse Club of which Ernest M. Best was a member. Featured in this image are (back row L to R) Gordon Magee, Ed Pensrock, Charlie Gordon, Lawrence Pentland, Oliver Law, (front row L to R) Billy Parker, unknown, Stevenson and Ernest Best. Three members of the club are missing from the photograph. Ernest Best was a student at the International YMCA Training School (now Springfield College) graduating in 1911. From 1913-1916 he taught Religious Education and Religious Normal Work at the College before serving in WWI as a Senior Officer in the Canadian YMCA War Services in France. Best became the fifth president of Springfield College in 1937, a position he held until 1945. He emphasized the traditions of Springfield College including liberal interpretation of Christianity; the education of the whole person; a continued connection with the YMCA; professional training for youth services staff; international student exchange; racial and religious tolerance; and a continuing emphasis on health, physical education, and recreation.
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
- Springfield College--Alumni and alumnae
International Young Men's Christian Association College
Best, Ernest Maurice, 1880-1963
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Miers. 1898 Manitou Lacrosse Club. 1898-08. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/348. (Accessed July 22, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Miers, (1898-08) 1898 Manitou Lacrosse Club. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/348
- MLA citation style
- Miers. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/348>.