Town Hall, Elm Street Congregational Church and Hartwell Residence Southbridge
View Full Image
Looking in a southwesterly direction on Elm Street, a view of the side of Town Hall with its tower, balcony, chimneys, and arches is given. The Town Hall is a Romanesque Revival style municipal building, built in 1888. The foundation and exterior staircase is granite with brick facade and some terra cotta relief. Until 1927, the High School was house in Town Hall. Horse and carriage is standing in front of the main entrance on the unpaved street, attached to one of the many hitching posts lining the street. The Elm Street Congregational Church is the next building going south on Elm Street. During the hurricane on September 21, 1938, the steeple was razed. This religious group was organized in Southbridge on September 16, 1801. A wooden colonial style structure was first built on this site in 1821. This church has the distinction of being the first with a bell in town. In the background is a view of the residence of the Ellen M and the late Samuel C. Hartwell, apothecary, with its V Is part of the Wm. C. Eaton collection at the Jacob Edwards Library, Southbridge, Massachusetts. http://www.jacobedwardslibrary.org. Two dates are hand written on back of original 1889 and Aug. 1891
|Jacob Edwards Library|
Historic buildings--New England
Rights status not evaluated. Contact host institution for more information.