Letter from A.H. Gray to Governor Buford Ellington
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This letter, from attorney A.H. Gray of Haywood County, expresses appreciation to Ellington for his work in the Federal Supreme Court case regarding voting rights in Fayette and Haywood Counties. In 1929 and 1949, Gray was a State Senator representing Haywood and Fayette counties. In this letter, Gray writes about the Federal Government s response to the voting crisis: [i]t seemed that the Justice Department was determined to make us suffer as much as possible and the Final Judgement that was entered was in the form of a permanent Injunction against about fifty Haywood County landowners and businessmen. However, Gray goes on to write, the Government went against its earlier promise, which, as he understood it, was to the effect that those cases would be dismissed without any Injunction going down against us provided the County Court here would take over the issuance of free food during the emergency periods of the year.
- Gray, A.H
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Voting--United States
Ellington, Buford, 1907-1972
African Americans--Civil rights--Southern States
- Brownsville (Tenn.)
- While TSLA houses an item, it does not necessarily hold the copyright on the item, nor may it be able to determine if the item is still protected under current copyright law. Users are solely responsible for determining the existence of such instances and for obtaining any other permissions and paying associated fees, that may be necessary for the intended use.
- Chicago citation style
- Gray, A.H. Letter from A.H. Gray to Governor Buford Ellington. 1962-05-05. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll18/id/1029. (Accessed January 18, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Gray, A.H, (1962-05-05) Letter from A.H. Gray to Governor Buford Ellington. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll18/id/1029
- MLA citation style
- Gray, A.H. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll18/id/1029>.