- View Full Item
- Created Date
Statement of responsibility: [Works Progress Administration of Pennsylvania]. Relief on most maps shown by contours and spot heights. WPA Project Numbers: 4483 -- 19666 -- 25734 -- No. 65-23-5001 -- No. 465-23-3-192. Each sheet is named and may have a letter code of A, B, C, or D following the name, corresponding to specific government contracts. These letter codes indicate a particular contract as follows: A = Contract No. 4483; B = Contract No. 65-23-5001 + No. 465-23-3-192; C = Contract No. 19666; and D = Contract No. 25734. Contract 19666 was used for mapping the oil and gas wells involved. Maps cover the time period of 1934-1936, project was intended to continue through 1938. There are ca. 1159 possible sheets. The set includes some base maps without any mine information on them. Some maps, including some base maps, show oil and gas wells and whether they are active or abandoned, in addition to coal seams. Some coal seams are mis-identified, some mines are omitted, and some mine locations are mis-mapped. Some sheets include handprinted notes indicating the source of contours used, whether from actual survey or from an existing base map, for that particular sheet. Sheet numbering is based on a system of subdividing a 15-minute quadrangle base map into 9 equivalent 2.5-minute segments; in some cases not all nine segments were used as part of the mapping done for the project. Sponsored by the Pennsylvania Bureau of Mines. Includes multiple sheets of some quadrangles to display different coal seams and/or oil and gas wells within the same region. Shaded, dotted areas represent retreat mined areas. Specific coal seams are abbreviated as follows: Brookville = Brk. -- Clarion = Clar. -- Lower Bakerstown = LB -- Lower Freeport = LF -- Lower Kittanning = LK -- Middle Kittanning = MK -- Pittsburgh = Pitt. -- Sewickley = Sew. -- Upper Freeport = UF -- Upper Kittanning = UK -- Washington = Wash. -- Waynesburg = Wayn. -- Redstone = Red. Some maps include structural contours. Some sheets/seams were mapped multiple times within the project but at different dates and/or under different projects.Add'l physical form: Some sheets also issued on mylar. Geographic coverage includes the following counties: Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Bedford, Blair, Bradford, Butler, Cambria, Cameron, Centre, Clarion, Clearfield, Clinton, Elk, Fayette, Forest, Fulton, Greene, Huntingdon, Indiana, Jefferson, Lawrence, Lycoming, Mercer, Somerset, Sullivan, Tioga, Venango, Washington, Westmoreland. The following contract ran from January 1936-April 1937, Contract no. 65-23-5001. The following contract ran from November 1937 - July 1938, Contract no. 465-23-3-193.
*shows location of gas and oil wells
Scale 1:14,400. 1 in. equals 1200 ft.
- United States. Works Progress Administration of Pennsylvania
- PA Digital
- Contributing Institution
- Pennsylvania State University
- Works Progress Administration of Pennsylvania
- Bituminous coal--Pennsylvania--Maps
North Fork Pine Creek
South Fork Pine Creek
Buffalo Rochester & Pittsburgh Railroad
Peoples Natural Gas Co. pipeline
- Armstrong County
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- United States. Works Progress Administration of Pennsylvania. Rural Valley-05-UF. 1934-1938. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://digital.libraries.psu.edu/cdm/ref/collection/wpamaps/id/3460. (Accessed December 13, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- United States. Works Progress Administration of Pennsylvania, (1934-1938) Rural Valley-05-UF. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://digital.libraries.psu.edu/cdm/ref/collection/wpamaps/id/3460
- MLA citation style
- United States. Works Progress Administration of Pennsylvania. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://digital.libraries.psu.edu/cdm/ref/collection/wpamaps/id/3460>.