Effects of pressure distributions on bluff tension-shell shapes /
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Includes bibliographical references (p. 17).
An investigation was conducted to improve the accuracy in calculating pressure distributions for various tension-shell decelerator shapes and to evaluate the effects on derived shapes resulting from the application of different pressure distributions. Pressure distributions given by Newtonian and integral-relation theory were each used to derive tension-shell shapes. Experimental pressure distributions were obtained from two windtunnel models - one model shape was derived by using a Newtonian pressure distribution and the other shape was derived by using an integral-relation pressure distribution for a Mach number of 3.0 - and were compared with theoretical pressure distributions. The tests were conducted at a Mach number of 3.0, at zero angle of attack, and at a Reynolds number of 10.4 X 106 based on maximum model diameter. Tension-shell shapes were also derived by using the experimental pressure distributions and were compared with both the Newtonianderived shape and the integral-relation-derived shape for a Mach number of 3.0.
- Sawyer, James Wayne
- Contributing Institution
- University of Illinois
- Washington, D.C. : National Aeronautics and Space Administration : [For sale by the Clearinghouse for Federal Scientific and technical Information, Springfield, Va. 22151]
- Electronic resourceLanguage material
- Public domain. Learn more at http://www.hathitrust.org/access_use
- Chicago citation style
- Sawyer, James Wayne. Effects of pressure distributions on bluff tension-shell shapes /. 1970. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011444565. (Accessed November 21, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Sawyer, James Wayne, (1970) Effects of pressure distributions on bluff tension-shell shapes /. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011444565
- MLA citation style
- Sawyer, James Wayne. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011444565>.