• Creator
  • Vandercook Co
  • Created Date
  • 1893-1893
  • Description
  • Caption: "[Engraved for The Standard Guide Company.] Union Stock Yards, Looking toward the Exchange. [See ""Great Industries."]". From text: "Located on South Halsted st.; in the former town of Lake, now within the corporate limits, about five and one-half miles southwest of the City Hall. ... The Union Stock Yards were organized and opened in 1865. The Stock Yards Company at the present time own 400 acres of land--320 acres in one block and e... more
    Caption: "[Engraved for The Standard Guide Company.] Union Stock Yards, Looking toward the Exchange. [See ""Great Industries."]". From text: "Located on South Halsted st.; in the former town of Lake, now within the corporate limits, about five and one-half miles southwest of the City Hall. ... The Union Stock Yards were organized and opened in 1865. The Stock Yards Company at the present time own 400 acres of land--320 acres in one block and eighty acres in outlying lots. The larger tract is devoted to the stock yards; some 200 acres being devoted to yards, etc., while the balance is occupied by railroad tracks and car sidings. Before you, as you enter the main arch-way, is a town with twenty miles of streets, twenty miles of water-troughs, fifty miles of feeding troughs and about seventy-five miles of water and drainage pipes... Just inside the entrance to the Union Stock Yards is the Exchange building, where the visitor will find the offices and counting rooms of the men who practically transact the live stock business of Chicago. These are modestly styled commission men, but they are in reality merchants, and many of them are engaged very extensively in the cattle traffic, independently of their commission business. less
  • Rights
  • Images in this collection were digitized through the University of Illinois Library's participation in the Open Content Alliance and may be used freely. Attribution to the University of Illinois is appreciated. High-resolution images can be downloaded from the Internet Archive at www.archive.org. For further information, contact dcc@library.uiuc.edu.