View of the gardens from the porch of the Charles Bach estate in Kentfield, Marin County, California circa 1902 [photograph]
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- circa 1902
View from the front porch of the Charles Bach Estate, Kentfield, Marin County, California, circa 1902. Charles H. Bach, born in Erfurt, Germany in 1841, married Emilie Rittmeyer and moved to San Francisco (by way of Amador County) around 1874. He joined the malting business of F. Scherr, which he eventually purchased, and renamed the Charles Bach Company, Incorporated. On July 14, 1892, he bought 5.733 acres of land in Ross Valley for a down payment of $10.00 in gold coins. On this site he built his home, which the San Francisco Call referred to as a "country residence." Bach called this retreat Quisisana, named for a resort on the island of Capri where the family, which included five children, stayed in 1884; the name translates to "here you can recover." Sometime between 1896 and 1897, the family became permanent residents of Kentfield. A fire on January 19, 1901 destroyed the home, and soon after it was replaced with a late-Queen Anne-style estate designed by architect Hermann Barth of San Francisco. After Charles' death in 1904, his eldest son, Alfred, raised his own family on the estate.
- California Digital Library
- Contributing Institution
- Marin County Free Library
- Marin County Free Library. Anne T. Kent California Room
Copyright status unknown. Some materials in these collections may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). In addition, the reproduction of some materials may be restricted by terms of gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
- Chicago citation style
- unknown. View of the gardens from the porch of the Charles Bach estate in Kentfield, Marin County, California circa 1902 [photograph]. circa 1902. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://contentdm.marinlibrary.org/cdm/ref/collection/bach/id/15. (Accessed December 19, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- unknown, (circa 1902) View of the gardens from the porch of the Charles Bach estate in Kentfield, Marin County, California circa 1902 [photograph]. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://contentdm.marinlibrary.org/cdm/ref/collection/bach/id/15
- MLA citation style
- unknown. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://contentdm.marinlibrary.org/cdm/ref/collection/bach/id/15>.