Slab City: Reel 168
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- December, 1991
Film, Audio, Video and Digital Art
Humanities and Social Sciences
Good interview of Linda Barnett as she repairs a generator while talking with Sleepy. “Decarbonating the generator or else you lose compression…it needs some rebuilding.” “The slabs is a 640 acre area, but 300 acres are impacted.” She also points out how fewer children are out here this year and that her X-ray technician license is still current. Linda brings up survival issues at the Slabs and how having a mechanical ability has proved very useful. “If we weren’t talented and gifted we wouldn’t be able to survive out here very long.” Sleepy is still a Southern Baptist minister and has also worked for the phone company. When Sleepy does most of the talking on #168 regarding his life and work, Linda is still seen working away on the generator. Their actions on camera look good on tape while speaking and remaining busy, too. Sleepy feels the county and state will work together regarding the free issue. On C.B.s in the desert—“You have to realize that the C.B. is more important than a ton of ground round in the refrigerator.” Linda’s independent spirit and self-reliant attitude carries well on camera. She and Sleepy make somewhat of an odd couple, but they work together and balance each other during their talk.
Digital Library Development Program, UC San Diego, La Jolla, 92093-0175 (http://libraries.ucsd.edu/about/digital-library/)
- Durbin, Greg (American filmmaker), George, Sherman (American filmmaker)
- California Digital Library
- Contributing Institution
- UC San Diego, Library, Digital Library Development Program
Niland, Imperial, California, United States
Salton Sea, California, United States
- moving image
- Videotape; 21 minutes, 5 seconds
- Under copyright
Constraint(s) on Use: This work is protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). Use of this work beyond that allowed by "fair use" requires written permission of the copyright holder(s). Responsibility for obtaining permissions and any use and distribution of this work rests exclusively with the user and not the UC San Diego Library. Inquiries can be made to the UC San Diego Library program having custody of the work.
Use: This work is available from the UC San Diego Library. This digital copy of the work is intended to support research, teaching, and private study.
- Chicago citation style
- Durbin, Greg (American filmmaker), George, Sherman (American filmmaker). Slab City: Reel 168. December, 1991. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://library.ucsd.edu/dc/object/bb8022132s. (Accessed December 13, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Durbin, Greg (American filmmaker), George, Sherman (American filmmaker), (December, 1991) Slab City: Reel 168. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://library.ucsd.edu/dc/object/bb8022132s
- MLA citation style
- Durbin, Greg (American filmmaker), George, Sherman (American filmmaker). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <https://library.ucsd.edu/dc/object/bb8022132s>.