Thomas J. Browne letter to Springfield College Library, August 4, 1943
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A letter written by Springfield College (then the International YMCA Training School) alum, Thomas J. Browne, to the Springfield College librarian informing him of a letter he found while cleaning up his attic. The letter in question was written by James Naismith, inventor of basketball, to Browne while he was a student at the Training School writing a thesis on basketball. Browne's thesis was published in "Spalding's Official Basket Ball Guide" in 1898. Browne's letter included with it Naismith's original letter which Browne indicates will be of value as an original source since the death of Naismith (in 1939).
T.J. (Thomas James) Browne graduated from Springfield College in 1898. At the time of his death in May 1964 he went by the name T.J. Zender-Browne because in 1942 he added his wife's surname to Browne. To view the Naismith letter sent with this correspondence click here: http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/compoundobject/collection/p15370coll2/id/882 To view the Spalding's Official Basket Ball Guide click here: http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/compoundobject/collection/p15370coll2/id/857
- Zender-Browne, Thomas J
- Digital Commonwealth
- Contributing Institution
- Springfield College Archives and Special Collections
- Springfield College
International Young Men's Christian Association Training School (Springfield, Mass.)
Springfield College--Alumni and alumnae
Naismith, James, 1861-1939
Browne, Thomas James
- Text and images are owned, held, or licensed by Springfield College and are available for personal, non-commercial, and educational use, provided that ownership is properly cited. A credit line is required and should read: Courtesy of Springfield College, Babson Library, Archives and Special Collections. Any commercial use without written permission from Springfield College is strictly prohibited. Other individuals or entities other than, and in addition to, Springfield College may also own copyrights and other propriety rights. The publishing, exhibiting, or broadcasting party assumes all responsibility for clearing reproduction rights and for any infringement of United States copyright law. Contact host institution for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Zender-Browne, Thomas J. Thomas J. Browne letter to Springfield College Library, August 4, 1943. 1943-08-04. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/888. (Accessed July 16, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Zender-Browne, Thomas J, (1943-08-04) Thomas J. Browne letter to Springfield College Library, August 4, 1943. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/888
- MLA citation style
- Zender-Browne, Thomas J. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm16122.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15370coll2/id/888>.