Aerodynamic characteristics of vehicle bodies at crosswind conditions in ground proximity /
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Prepared at Langley Research Center.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 13).
A series of force tests was conducted on unpowered, high-speed ground-vehicle model configurations to provide information on shapes of this type very near the ground. Of particular interest were the crosswind effects on the aerodynamic forces and moments of the six models tested. These tests were conducted over the moving-belt ground plane in the 17-foot (5.18-m) test section of the Langley 300-MPH 7-by 10-foot tunnel at free-stream dynamic pressure values of 10 lb/ft2 (478.8 N/m2). The results indicate that the half-circle configuration is desirable because of the low rolling moments it experienced; however, it did have higher lift values than the other configurations and, from a utility standpoint, could be impractical. The half-circle configurations with extended sides may make good compromise configurations. All the ground-simulation techniques employed -moving ground belt, fixed ground belt, and image model -gave reasonable representations of the overall aerodynamic trends.
- Grunwald, Kalman J
- Contributing Institution
- University of Illinois
- Washington, D.C. : National Aeronautics and Space Administration
Meteorology in aeronautics
- Electronic resourceLanguage material
- Public domain. Learn more at http://www.hathitrust.org/access_use
- Chicago citation style
- Grunwald, Kalman J. Aerodynamic characteristics of vehicle bodies at crosswind conditions in ground proximity /. 1970. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011444211. (Accessed November 20, 2018.)
- APA citation style
- Grunwald, Kalman J, (1970) Aerodynamic characteristics of vehicle bodies at crosswind conditions in ground proximity /. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011444211
- MLA citation style
- Grunwald, Kalman J. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011444211>.